#38 CALIFORNIA ALERT March 22 Dear California Defender of the 2nd Amendment, The battle is NOT over! Although both houses of the California legislature have passed so-called "assault rifle" bans, the Assembly passed the Roos bill, A.B. 357, by only a single vote -- the 41-vote bare minimum. Neither of those bills will become law unless and until both Houses have agreed on a single version, and that version has been signed by retiring Gov. George Deukmajian. Presently, the bills passed by each house are being considered by the other body. In essence, the Roberti bill bans new "assault weapons" and requires registration of existing guns, defined so it could apply to countless commonly owned semi-auto rifles, shotguns and handguns; it also sets up a gun censorship board to decide which are acceptable. Instead of a generic definition, the similar Roos bill lists over 40 makes and models that initially would be banned. Gov. Deukmajian has said he would veto the more easily abused Roberti bill, but implied that he might sign the Roos bill. Press reports that he was ready to sign either or both were false. The Assembly Public Safety committee is expected to consider the Senate-passed Roberti bill, S.B. 292, either April 4 or 11. Senate committee action is likely at about the same time. If the Senate changes the Roos bill, it would go back to the Assembly for concurrence, where we would get another shot at killing it. However, if Roberti decides the Roos bill is the most extreme the Assembly will accept, the Senate could pass the Assembly- approved bill and send it to Gov. Deukmajian. Gov. Deukmajian has asked his offices to conduct a poll of whether he should sign it. His L.A. polling number is 213-736-2373; in Sacramento, 916-445- 4633. Call those numbers! Get your friends to call! Since the press has consistently misrepresented the bills, many gun owners still believe that if they don't own an AK-47 or an AR-15, neither bill affects them. Not true. Either bill represents a quantum leap in "gun control," and it's historically inevitable that next year, or the year after, there will be pressures to "build upon this first step" by expanding the list of "bad" guns -- when there's another Stockton-type tragedy. Attorney General -- and gubernatorial candidate -- John Van de Kamp, in the definition sent to police Dec. 5, spelled out the next target: "Section 2: Any shotgun, whether semi-automatic or otherwise, with a magazine or magazine capacity of 5 rounds or more." That includes most hunting, trap and skeet guns. Because California has a pre-emption law intended to forbid local bans like those enacted by Los Angeles and Santa Clara County, many gun owners have ignored those ordinances, assuming NRA's suit will nullify them. Last week the Supreme Court refused to consider a direct appeal, but assigned the case to the same appellate court that struck down the San Francisco handgun ban a few years ago. NRA's attorneys were pleased, but the press treated the decision as if it were a loss for NRA. Saturday, Santa Clara County Sheriff's deputies began enforcing their ordinance by confiscating many "assault rifles" at a San Jose gun show, and seizing prohibited guns at a local range. All my life I've been told that firearms confiscation, especially police seizing rifles, would never happen in this country. Well, friends, it has happened -- and that's just the beginning. California lawmakers have already turned more law-abiding citizens into criminals than anything since liquor Prohibition. While the appellate court may still strike down the local ordinances, the only way to stop the statewide ban is with a massive grass roots effort. Larry Kempton (619-245-2809) and other activists have organized what must be a large rally dominated by gun owners at the San Bernardino Fairgrounds, Victorville, April 2 at 2 pm. Roy Rogers Jr. will be the MC. Speakers include Assemblymen Tom McClintock and Dick Mountjoy; both Roos and Roberti have declined, but it's a certainty that the anti-gun crowd will try to have the largest showing -- to send exactly the wrong message to Sacramento. If you're within driving distance, be there with a carload -- or a full church bus. For up-to-date information on what's happening, and what you and your friends can do, call the taped legislative alert phone lines listed below. They have been set up in every California area code by Frank Barnyak and the Liberty Coalition. The tapes vary for each region, and they are fast and informative. LIBERTY COALITION HOTLINES 209-625-4927 (Visalia) 213-837-7026 (Culver City) 408-279-0872 (San Jose) 415-453-8084 (San Rafael) 619-588-5473 (El Cajon) 707-792-1350 (Rohnert Park) 714-590-0885 (Chino) 714-894-3012 805-968-4465 (Goleta) 818-359-9201 (Monrovia) 818-505-1376 (N. Hollywood) 916-641-8677 (Sacramento) In addition to calling Gov. Deukmajian's office, call your assemblyman and Senator at his Sacramento or local office. Please make copies of this alert and circulate it to your friends, fellow club members and fellow workers. This battle can still be won -- but only if every California gun owner does his part. What happens there is going to affect the Congress and other state legislatures. We're counting on you. Yours for the Second Ame Neal Knox Firearms Coaltion P.S. Call President Bush at 202-456-7639 or write him at the White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Remind him of his campaign promises. Protest his proposal to compromise your rights. =============================================================================